Saturday, August 15, 2009

I'M ON FIRE.


*warning, really, REALLY long post*

Pretty fantastic night lads. :D It was a good day, and an even more fantastic night. I forgot, no, I needed to be reminded of how much I adore concerts. The raw energy that the crowd emits, the tens of thousands of screaming fans, the look on the performers’ faces knowing that a job’s well done, the smell of sweat from all the perspiring fans, the torture of having to wait in line and endure the couple of hours before the performer(s) shows up, the treasured items thrown off the stage by those very people we’ve idolised from afar, how my heart beats against it’s cage when I scream the lines back to those very people that wrote them, the voices of a sea of people singing in unison; sharing the same interests as 14, 999 other people. It’s such a rush I’ll never be able to forget. And tonight my dear friends, is a whole different rush. The kind of rush I’ve never felt before. I went into the concert with a close minded mind, only wanting to catch a glimpse of my favourite band, but I went back home with a whole new set of mind. Like a musical kick in the place where it hurts.. Discovering (in the most fantastic way possible) how wrong I was about some of the bands I never thought was worth listening to. Thank you World Stage, you have blown my creative mind open wide tonight, once and for all.

Let’s start from the beginning. Haziq picked us up (Ira and myself) at 2.30pm and then we’re off to Sunway Lagoon. After standing in line for god knows how long, getting drizzled on, a few escalator mishaps and a couple of security checks, we finally made it into the moshpit area. It’s so weird, I’ve never seen the Surf Beach so… dry. Ira and I made it to the front, on the right hand side of the stage, where we could see the entrance to the backstage pretty clearly (which we then later saw the BLG boys hanging out with their soundcheck men there during Estanged's performance). Thirsty, I went to get water with Haziq. Just when I was paying for the RedBull, the MTV VJs’ started the event. Gulping down my drink, I hurried back to my spot, guarded by Ira, leaving Haziq wandering at the back with the rest of the group.

Below, the night explained in sequence… somewhat.

Weird, short, dancing, Malaysian boyv
He was the first act. I don’t know him, but apparently he’s won a few awards in America. He looks like he 'graduated' from Akademi Fantasia… but, ntah lah. He sang a song that was undoubtedly foreign to my ears and he danced his way through the upbeat jam. He even moonwalked while blowing kisses! He only sang one song, then left the stage. Dia menari boleh tahan lah.

Estranged


The boys went on the stage donning weird stuff except for Rich. Rich looked completely normal. Andy had red eyes, which made him look really yummy. Hanafi looked normal, but then again he was on the other side of the stage so I’m not completely sure how he looked like. Their temp bassist, yg I tak tau nama (sorry!) had a kimono and white face paint on, ala geisha and Din had black full contacts on macam Limp Bizkit’s bassist and fake intertwining, iban style tattoos from the left side of his face sampai his left arm... Pretty darn cool. They played four(?) songs and pretty much warmed us up. Saya bangga menjadi rakyat Malaysia.
(

­Boys Like Girls


"I feel like a hero and you are my heroine"

Blown away man. If my memory serves me right, they played four songs as well. Coincidentally, when they started playing Thunder, it started drizzling. It was a pretty epic moment for me… hearing 15,000 voices singing along to Thunder in the drizzling rain, completely immersed in the moment. Like I said, blown away. They ended their set with The Great Escape of course, Martin’s voice drowned in the crowd because we were singing so loud. I didn’t really look at them then, I just closed my eyes, sang and enjoyed the moment. Oh and Martin climbed the pole(?) thing on my side of the stage, he went pretty high up… it was scary and exhilarating all at the same time. I think that was during Lovedrunk. As they were throwing their guitar picks, drumsticks and shit to the crowd, they said “see you in October!” Hell yeah we will. :) Oh! Oh! Before they left the stage, Martin jumped down and all hell broke lose, everyone was trying to grab a bit of Martin, I got a hold of his hand (WHEEEEEEE!!!), his star tattooed hand.


"Now she's got a boyfriend and I've got a rockband"

Raygun


"Just because you can it doesn't mean you should"

Okay, this I have to say. I have to take back all I’ve said about Raygun, the only fact that I don’t like about them now is that their band is named after the lead singer. That is such a self-centered thing to do. But music-wise, they were fantastic. The Adj and his obsession with scarves + mad guitar skills, Ray and his slinky dance moves + sexay sexay voice, Ben all sweaty and yummy looking(I swear to god he is SO cute) and Sam. Hahaha. Sam is also very cute, I wouldn’t know from watching their music videos that they are all good looking people. They make crazy music too, disco inspired, edgy rock sound (sick guitar solos I tell you!) and techno-ish beats. They only sang three songs, because they only have about three songs officially out… so takpe lah. Would want to see more of them when they start headlining. Cannot wait.


"If I could write a story of love and hate and glory"


Pixie Lott

She was alright. I thought one of her backup singers was really hot. Very retro looking girl. Pixie has a beautiful singing voice, but maybe because she was wedged between all these rock bands that, to me, she came off a little dull. She’s real pretty in person though, even if she was wearing an ugly ass dress. She has only three songs, only one of which I know of which of course is Mama Do(uh oh). That particular song, a lot of people sang. She might have been dull, but she definitely don’t suck balls. x)

We had a break in between. About half an hour if I’m not mistaken. DJ Rough played a long stream of music which kept us all entertained. Some weird guy next to me kept shouting ‘ARCTIC MONKEYS! ARCTIC MONKEYS!’. I gotta thank Naomi for going off to get me water. Thanks babe! I swear, I was dying of thirst. At this point, Haziq was nowhere to be found and Ira and I were too tired to go look for him. We sat for like 15 minutes before the VJ’s came out again and started throwing t-shirts at us, which by the way I really wanted. YAAAAAAAAAAA!!! I am so jealous of you for getting the freaking shirt!

It’s been a long post, I shall continue the last half of the night in the next post. Until then, cheers! :D


Pictures(def not taken by me):






No good pictures could be found of them.

v

It's blurred, had to zoom up.


Raygun.


(sorry if the pictures are all out of place, malas nk betulkan)

No comments:

Post a Comment